Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas in Guatemala

Feliz Navidad y Prospero Ano Nuevo! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!


I have been so busy these last two weeks that I have not had time to update my blog, sorry! We were delivering the gifts to all the communities this last week and having lots of fiestas for the end of the year in the office, my boys love a reason to drink! Now that I think about they are kind of like college students and this time I am the responsible one, weird how things change!


I am in Magdalena spending Christmas with my host family! It has been nice so far being with a family for the holidays because it has been harder than I thought it would be to be away from my family! I miss the weirdest stuff, the cooking, the SNOW, the crowds at the mall, the fighting that always accompanys the holidays, the feeling so full you think that your button might pop off and most of all (other than my family) the candy and sweets!


So the first night I was here the posada was at my host family´s house so I got to see the ceremony of moving it from house to house! Here Christmas is still very traditional! There are places that it is more commericalized but here in Magdalena it is still very much what Christmas is suppose to be about, celebrating the birth of Christ! In the US we have forgotten why we gather with friends and family but here the people know why they are celebrating the day! But the festive atmosphere is still the same!







Yesturday I spent the whole day cooking with my host mom! I got to make the mixture for the tamales and the salsa! Then in the afternoon we actually made the tamales! You use the big leaves of the tree that produces pacya (a type of veggie here)! Then you put the corn mixture in the leaves with a piece of meat and salsa then you fold it up and then tie it with string made from some more leaves! That was my job the tying of the tamales! It was fun because it reminded me of making the chocolate preztels we make at Christmas time!


Today is the big celebration lasting I guess until 1 or 2 in the morning so I will be one tired girl tomorrow because my noramal bedtime is around 9 pm! It will be a different Christmas but also one that I will never forget!







Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

No comments: